Thursday, December 29, 2011

It is now the time to be thinking about making New Year’s resolutions. I don’t do that. I don’t make New Year’s resolutions any more. I used to. For many years I made a passel of them. But I never kept them for long. I think the record was a couple of months. In hopes of rectifying that situation, I quit making so many each year. I cut it down to one a year, thinking one would be easier to keep than many. That didn’t work. That one resolution lasted no longer.

Finally, I made a resolution that I kept. I vowed one year to never, ever make another New Year’s resolution and so far I have kept that promise to myself and I believe I am much happier because of it. Since that time, I’ve made many improvements in myself—I have given up smoking, lost weight, started and kept up with exercise programs. I even got rid of a pile of stuff and streamlined my life. And I began writing and am sticking to it. And I did all this not because of obligating myself to a program that I didn’t really want to follow. I made changes when I felt the need to and felt they were right for me. Perhaps I should have made a resolution to do that very thing years ago. But then, would I have been able to keep it? And if I hadn’t, could I have brought the change about any other way? Interesting. I think I’ll stop thinking about it and be satisfied things turned out the way they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment